by Jennifer Schiro
Do you know that 80% of Americans fail to follow through and achieve their New Year Resolutions?
What has been your success rate in the past? Do you want to be the successful 20% who stick with it and make your health and wellness goals a reality?
The key to successfully achieving your goals is not simply how hard you work or how strong your willpower is – although these are important components, you also need to structure your goals in a way such that you are setting yourself up for success, find the right motivation to carry you through the rough patches, and have the right kind of support system to cheer you along and pick you up when you fall off the wagon.
It is easy to put a few goals down on paper on New Year’s Day, however, have you set yourself up for success when career, family, and personal responsibilities start to take up your days (just think of that email inbox after 2 weeks off!) and you realize you don’t have time to take the steps towards achieving your health goals?
Here are 5 things you can do right away to set yourself up for success and start 2013 right:
1. Set S.M.A.R.T. goals – your goals need to be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound
2. Dig deep, ask yourself the bigger why – don’t settle with the first answer, keep asking why you want to achieve a certain goal. The deeper you dig, the bigger the reason behind your desire, the more likely you will stick with it. Usually, when you dig deeper, your reason will go beyond just numbers and facts (“I want to lose 10 pounds”) and you will tap into the feelings and emotions that are associated with reaching the goals (“I will feel confident and comfortable in my own body”, “I want to be a good role model for my kids”) – which often provides a stronger motivation.
3. Take baby steps – break down your goals into small, simple steps. Make 3 realistic and reasonable changes in your life every week, practice and make sure they are fully integrated into your routine before picking up the next 3 steps. Before you know it, you would have made 36 changes in your life to bring you towards your goals in just 3 months!
4. Assume total responsibility – no more victim mentality. No more blame-game. You are responsible for creating your own reality.
5. Get the right support – surround yourself with people who support your goals and your dream, and cheer you along. Let them know how they can help you if you fall off the wagon. Joining a group health coaching program is a great way to surround yourself with an immediate community of like-minded people who are there to support each other!
If you are interested in getting support through a health coaching program, talk to your employer and see how you can get the support and improve your health right here at your workplace!
Cheers to a whole new you! Let this year's resolution be the last one you have to make regarding your health.